In one chapter Oda has turned the Fishman Island from dry, weak and disappointing villains, to one of the most epic and strongest character, one of the Four Emperor Pirates, Charlotte Linlin aka Big Mama. Little is know about her history and her personality, however I can guarantee you that in the next coming chapters we will be getting to know a lot about Big Mama. But lets get on with the rest of the chapter.
Big Mama’s Body
Like I said very little is known about this freakish being, but we get some light shed on her personality and how she actually looks like. She seems to be the size of a small giant, this could be because of her eating habit or it could just be her actual size. But take note that when she was first mentioned by Garp, all the way back in the 300 chapters, her actual appearance has changed dramatically, for one her nose and teeth are rounder now and her body size has doubled since the two year skip. In addition, she seems to have a very strong stomach acid that can digest large things, be it candy or humans and it seems that here saliva is able to disintegrate things easily. I can estimate that she is one of the strongest pirates in the New World, from her title of Yonko (Emperor). Her abilities are not known, we do not know whether she has a devil fruit or is just a strong human like shank, Zoro and Sanji who do not have devil fruit abilities but are freakishly strong.
Big Mama’s Personality
Big Mama seems to have a capitalistic mind set, more like a business woman, as she charges people for her “Name”. She deals with things in a business like manner, it can be said that she is a very educated person in the concept of business, but it seems that her only interest is in candy. Pirates are known to be obsessed with treasure; for example, take Nami or Buggy who are both obsessed with treasure. But like I have said in my first blog that one of One Piece messages to its audience is the meaning of treasure, and Big Mama proves my point. As in she declines a treasure worth that of a whole country and instead wants her candy.
Bid Mama and Whitebeard
These two great pirates had great similarities and differences. Both are powerful and command a great deal of people. But they have differences; in a sense they are like ying and yang, both are looked up by their crew in a mother and father figure. But Whitebeard crew calls him papa from love, while Big Mama crew call her mama from a fearful standpoint. I am not saying that her crew does not love her but from what we got so far, I can safely say that most of her crew fears her with the exception of her top generals. Whitebeard embraced one of his crewmembers even after being stabbed by him, Big Mama on the other hand is even whiling to cannibalize some of her crewmembers. Though I am just saying this from what we have learned so far about Big Mama, I could be totally proven wrong in the future about the really persona of Charlotte Linlin.
Is Luffy ready to take on A Yonko(emperor)
For starters Luffy this chapter was a badazz and made me laugh, I just love how Luffy is still Luffy, that his character has not changed in the sense of his beliefs, ideas, and his carefree manner. But on with the chapter, so Luffy has finally done it, claimed war on one of the Yonkou Big Mama. I can see that a lot of people would question if Luffy being ready to face of a Yonko? There is a simple answer to that question, and Luffy is neither ready nor not ready. Luffy was never ready and was always ready to face of his enemies. I know it is confusing but let me explain.
Remember when Luffy claimed war on Crocodile who was a previous Shichibukai and people than questioned whether Luffy was ready to face a Shichibukai, look how that turned out. Luffy claimed war on CP9, the top assassination group of the Marines, and people questioned whether he was ready, and again look how that turned out. Luffy claimed war on Gekko Moriah, also one of the shichibukai and people asked whether he was ready. By now you should see what I am getting at, Luffy is never ready for his opponents he just goes with the flow and speaks his mind by backing it up with his actions. So the real question is Big Mama ready to face Luffy? Now do I think that he is able to beat Big Mama? I do not know the answer to that because I do not think that he will fight her because this whole miss understanding will be fixed once Big Mama realizes that Luffy was the one who saved her daughter.
- Oh boy, if Nami finds out that Luffy offered the treasure to Big Mama, she might kill him. Lucky for Luffy Big Mama denied his offer.
- All of Big Mama’s men are very odd, one is a talking lion, a long-legged man, and that fat guy at the end. Remember in the world of One Piece, there is all sort of type of people. There’s giants, long-legged, animals, Fishman/mermen race, etc.
- I really liked the cover page where all of the Strawhats are interpreted into their respected animal.
- I can assume that the vivre card will play a huge role in this new arc.
- Sanji and Zoro were so funny this chapter, with Sanji thinking that Big Mama is a madam. I can’t wait for his reaction once he sees her. Zoro getting mad that Caribou is out.
- Speaking of Caribou, what a weakling, but like I have said before no one can go against Luffy in the first half of the grandline.
- Madam Shirley’s prediction of Luffy destroying FI might be because of Luffy claiming war on Big Mama.
- Jinbe might join Luffy for now to take on Big Mama because now Luffy needs to get all the help he can get to against one of the Yonko.
- The lady with the three eyes is very interesting, might be Big mama’s other daughter.
Filed under: One Piece manga |