Hi, my name is mart in case you don’t know me. I haven’t written anything in a while and this is a bit off from my usual posts…
Anyway, I was thinking that Shannaro needed a place to discuss our favorite manga other than the big three.
Here is my list: (I also included Manhwa and Korean Webtoons)
1. Holyland: Excellent story and explanations of fights, talks about the psychology of fights
2. The Breaker/New waves (new waves is the sequel): Troubled kid meets a martial arts master, the usual story, but uniquely good
3. Gamaran: A boy swordsman has to track down his psycho father and kill him…
4. History’s strongest disciple Kenichi: A good into to fight manga due to it’s light hearted nature
5. Zen Martial arts academy: Over the top style fighting, I enjoyed it for no particular reason
6. Kenji: Historical Fight manga with good story and fight explanations
7. Shaman King: It’s been a while since I read this one…
8. Samurai Deeper Kyo: Swordsman with split personality disorder goes from nice guy to serial killer in under a second
9. Blade of the immortal: Immortal swordsman has to kill evil men to die in peace
10. Worst: Deliquent High school meets a new freshman who wants to conquer the whole school
I love fight manga (I was a fighter myself). I love things that show how techniques work and show reasons why people fight. Holyland is FAR superior to anything else on that list. It has pretty much everything and I read it three times within four months…
1. Tower of God
3. Hunter X Hunter
4. Full Metal Alchemist
6. Yu Yu Hakusho
8. Flame of Recca
9. Mahou Sensei Negima
10. Marchen Awaken Romance (MAR)
12. Rave Master
14. Cage of Eden
15. Code Breaker
16. Soul Cartel
Given that most manga are “adventure” type this is the largest list. I love Tower of God for it’s plot, Hunter X Hunter because of the battle system, Magi as an all-rounder, and Full Metal Alchemist for the plot.
1. Psyren: The battle system is excellent, there is a happy ending, and even the villains are believable.
2. Deadman Wonderland: Crazy with a lot of fighting, sadly not much winning… they really need Charley Sheen
3. Aphorism: Every character has a “character” on there body. They can summon any image of this character and must use it to survive a monster filled high school for one year.
4. Gantz: Monsters/Aliens invade earth, but one man in a metal sphere reclaims the lives of the dead to fight them.
5. Trace: Monsters invade earth, but people develop supernatural powers to compensate and fight them off.
6. Claymore: Demonic Swordswomen fight off Demons to save mankind
7. D. Grayman: Holy relics are used to fight demons
8. Freezing: Aliens are fought by schoolgirls with powers
9. Berserk: The world’s greatest swordsman fights demons after his greatest ally betrays him
I kind of dislike this genre because there are so few happy moments. It’s sort of the antithesis of the adventure genre where the good guy always wins, but a lot of them still have good plots. Berserk should be at the top but I thought of it late…
1. Deathnote: A notebook from the grim reaper can kill anyone
2. Liar Game: Only one on the list I didn’t read but I hear it’s good
I am always looking for more good manga to read, so if you have suggestions let me know, though I’ve read more than the 35 on this list, so if you can actually find a good one I haven’t read you might win a cookie.
Filed under: Uncategorized |